Yilmaz reports back to training Fortuna Sittard, interview to follow
After days of speculation, Yilmaz just trains with Fortuna Sittard
Burak Yilmaz has reported back to Fortuna Sittard on Wednesday afternoon, to take part in training. An interview with the Turkish striker will follow, according to the club.
Yilmaz put a message on social media Sunday evening from which it could be concluded that he was saying goodbye to Fortuna. It caused confusion among the Limburgers. The club knew nothing and technical director Sjoerd Ars said he was surprised.
Yilmaz wrote on Instagram, “Dear Fortuna Sittard family and fans. I enjoyed playing for you guys, thanks for everything. I hope for better and more successful years.”
The selection had been given two days off after Sunday’s 3-1 win over FC Groningen, so the mystery surrounding Yilmaz continued for a while. But on Wednesday, the 37-year-old player simply appeared at the stadium, where he entered the training field after a joint lunch with his teammates.
“He has reported back and that is a good sign. There will undoubtedly be a conversation, but I do not know the content of it,” said a club spokesman.
Overdue salary payment
It has been suggested in recent days that Yilmaz’s cryptic message may have to do with the overdue payment of salaries this month. General director Ivo Pfennings told De Limburger on Monday that those matters are “unrelated” and that all employees would receive their salaries on Tuesday.
An away game against Ajax is scheduled Sunday at 4:45 p.m. for Fortuna, number eleven in the premier league.