Another FC Utrecht points loss after three disallowed goals against Volendam

Another FC Utrecht points loss after three disallowed goals against Volendam

NOS Football

Watch the summary of FC Utrecht – FC Volendam

FC Utrecht again failed to win at home against a lower-ranked team in the premier league. After defeats against Fortuna Sittard (1-2) and Go Ahead Eagles (1-2), Michael Silberbauer’s team did not get beyond 0-0 against FC Volendam this time.

The Utrechters did manage to pass Volendam goalkeeper Filip Stankovic three times, but all goals were cancelled, to the fury of the Utrechters.

Discussion on disallowed goals

Two of the three disallowed goals were disallowed after VAR intervention. Volendam coach Wim Jonk understands that the goals were eventually disallowed. “That’s what VAR is for, right?” he said.

Utrecht midfielder Bart Ramselaar, whose goal was disallowed, doesn’t understand referee Richard Martens’ decisions at all. “My goal had to be approved, he says.”

The first half will not go down in history. Utrecht was better, but played too sloppy and at too low a tempo to really grab Volendam by the throat. The Utrechters did become dangerous twice.

Top scorer fails to score once

Sean Klaiber set Tasos Douvikas free in front of Stankovic after half an hour. The premier league’s top scorer did not score for a change, as the goalkeeper cleverly turned the ball away. The Greek striker also failed to score from the rebound just before halftime, after Bart Ramselaar’s shot hit the post.

Volendam did not put up much in return. Wim Jonk’s team occasionally became dangerous via the counter attack.

In the second half the picture did not change. However, the game did become more lively. Shortly after halftime, a goal by Utrecht defender Nick Viergever was rightly disallowed for offside and Volendam attacker Gaetano Oristiano shot wide.

A precarious moment in front of the FC Volendam goal

In the sixtieth minute the ball was again in Volendam’s goal. Ramselaar got the ball at his feet and tapped in. After the intervention of VAR, referee Richard Martens decided to cancel the goal. In the preceding attack, the ball would have crossed the sideline. The footage did not clearly show whether this was actually the case.

Another goal disallowed

After that, the game remained messy. Both teams did look more emphatically for a goal, without creating any major chances.

In the 83rd minute the redeeming goal for FC Utrecht seemed to be a fact. Douvikas tapped in, after the ball had ended up at his feet via a good move by Othmane Boussaid. This goal also crossed the line. Fellow striker Bas Dost was obstructively offside according to the referee and VAR.

In injury time, Utrecht defender Van der Hoorn almost headed the ball into the net, but this effort too did not result in a goal.

Kayleigh Williams