Ten Hag with United in FA Cup semifinals after three reds for Fulham

Ten Hag with United in FA Cup semifinals after three reds for Fulham

NOS Soccer

Manchester United followed Manchester City, Sheffield United and Brighton & Hove Albion in qualifying for the FA Cup semifinals. Against Fulham, coach Erik ten Hag’s team struggled to recover from a deficit to a 3-1 win.

The difference was only made after the Londoners – with Kenny Tete in the ranks – were down to nine men.

Erik ten Hag saw his team struggle against Fulham

Fulham were promoted to the Premier League last season under coach Marco Silva and are doing extremely well this season. The club is ninth, worries about relegation need not be The Cottagers therefore not to be had.

Also in the quarterfinals of the FA Cup, the Londoners showed their best side for a long time. The visitors were not at all inferior to the Premier League number three and had the best chances.

Just after halftime, Fulham’s good play was rewarded with a deserved goal. From a corner kick, Issa Diop extended towards the far post and Aleksandar Mitrovic was able to pop in from close range.

It was thanks to a couple of excellent saves by goalkeeper David De Gea that the damage for United was not greater.

Fulham sees red and loses

With about twenty minutes to go, things suddenly went all wrong for Fulham. In a few minutes, the Londoners’ coach and two players were sent off with red and United scored twice.

It all started with a quick counter by United, which ended with Jadon Sancho. The Englishman rounded the goalkeeper, but Willian prevented a certain goal with his arm.

As the referee sought to review the footage on the advice of VAR, he was harassed by Silva to such an extent that the Portuguese was allowed to leave with red.

Aleksandar Mitrovic gets red, in background Willian looks on

Afterwards, the referee made it clear from the TV footage that he could do nothing but give a penalty kick to United and red to Willian.

The Brazilian knew he was wrong and accepted his penalty. The seeing Mitrovic couldn’t take that. He went to get redress and, in the process, gave the referee a punch. The latter did not think twice and drew another red.

United takes advantage of disorder

When calm had returned Bruno Fernandes coolly exploited the penalty kick. Fulham had lost their way for a moment with only nine players left and two minutes later United took advantage. Marcel Sabitzer tapped in on a cross from Luke Shaw.

With that, the match was decided. Fulham could not make a fist anymore and also got the 3-1 in injury time from Fernandes.

Kayleigh Williams