‘Biggest challenge there is’

NOS Football–

Tuchel presentation at Bayern Munich
Thomas Tuchel knows what he is getting into at Bayern Munich. The 49-year-old German was appointed Friday to succeed Julian Nagelsmann, who had to leave because Bayern’s performance in the Bundesliga has been shaky in recent months. On Saturday afternoon, Tuchel was presented.
The club of Netherlands internationals Matthijs de Ligt, Daley Blind and Ryan Gravenberch lost first place in the Bundesliga to Borussia Dortmund, which now has one more point, last week due to a defeat at Bayer Leverkusen (2-1).
Next Saturday, Bayern and Dortmund will face each other in Munich on Tuchel’s debut. “There is no greater challenge to start with,” Tuchel said of the duel with the club he worked for between 2015 and 2017. “This is the most important match in German soccer. And the position in the league table adds to this.”
‘One of the best clubs in the world’
Tuchel won the 2021 Champions League with Chelsea. He was sacked by the English club last September. Tuchel now signed a contract in Munich until the summer of 2025.
At his presentation, he set the bar high. “This is one of the best clubs in the world, winning is in the DNA of Bayern Munich. The club has put together one of the best and most talented selections in Europe. With this squad you can win everything and that’s why I’m also here, to win all the prizes.”
Nagelsmann’s resignation caused frowns Friday night. After all, Bayern Munich is still active in the German Cup tournament and in the Champions League, in which Manchester City will soon be the opponent in the quarter-finals.
Directors Oliver Kahn and Hasan Salihamidzic stated Saturday that after the defeat against Leverkusen, they felt it necessary to intervene. “We are not panicking, but it is our duty and task to ensure sporting success,” Kahn said.
Salihamidzic pointed out that Bayern also had two periods of shaky performances last year. “And now we haven’t won five of the last 10 league games. We cannot be satisfied with that.”