Based on a true story, a woman on the hunt for information about her birth is shocked to see her baby photo on a website for missing children. A DNA test confirms her identity. And everything she thought she knew about the mother who raised her turns out to be wrong.
Carlina White-Ann Pettway True Story Timeline
- Several nursing staff members and patients see the nurse walking around the hospital as she speaks to some of the patients’ families. At least two hospital employees ask who she is and what she is doing there. Ann Pettway tells a nurse she has family there. But she tells patients and visitors she’s a nurse on the 4th floor.
- At 3 a.m., when no one is watching, the fake nurse disconnects the tubes from baby Carlina’s body and leaves the 17th floor of Harlem hospital. Pandemonium sets in. The hospital staff frantically searches for the baby. Finally, a helicopter search is launched.
- When she arrives at her home in Bridgeport, Connecticut, Annugetta Pettway changes Carlina’s name to Nejdra Nance and raises her as her own. Ann’s family suspect something strange. They ask questions, noting that Nejdra “Neddie” Nance looks nothing like Ann, they would recall later, the New York Daily News reported.
- Police search for a woman who has been seen in the hospital for several months. She’s described as a heavyset female with hair under her chin. Thirty-one-year-old Lucy Brockington from Baltimore, Maryland, fits the description of the abductor and is questioned. It turns out to be a false lead.
- Ann tells Carlina White she was adopted. Immediately, Carlina knows something is not right. After giving birth to her daughter, they continue to live with Ann Pettway for the next two years.
- Joy White and Carl Tyson haven’t forgotten about their precious baby Carlina. They are heavily disappointed to find out the Manhattan attorney who represented them in their civil suit has taken about $6000 from their daughter’s trust fund. The attorney, Richard Wertis, is disbarred. Over $160,000 is saved for Carlina in the event she is ever located.
Carlina White (Nejdra Nance) moves into her own apartment with her bundle of joy.
- The case hits the news. Headlines read “Woman Missing for 23 Years Found!” This is a high profile case.
1987 Carlina White kidnapped from #harlem hospital by Annugetta Pettway. Reunited with her family 23 years later @nytimes @nypost @NYDailyNews @BklynEagle @metronewyork @QueensChronicle @WNYC @wcbs880 @NBCNewYork @cbslocal pic.twitter.com/zCKQJAJFaA
— VanishedPlanet (@Missing51135347) August 4, 2019
- Overwhelmed by the media attention, Carlina White distances herself from the case almost immediately. Later, a movie deal comes her way.
Ann Pettway’s Psychological Report indicates the following
- *She was depressed and suffering from mental illness due to various miscarriages and two stillborn births.
- *She was emotionally and physically abused as a child. The parents were described by Ann Pettway’s sister, Cassandra, as Southern parents who used belts and extension cords to spank them. There was also an instance of (S—Abuse).
- The one thing that was most important to Ann Pettway was to become a mother. She was diagnosed as severely depressed with psychotic and delusional features.
Notes on Carlina White’s Childhood and whether or not Ann Pettway Abused her
- By all accounts, Nejdra Nance aka Carlina White’s upbringing was fine. Ann Pettway was a loving and responsive parent who was not abusive. According to Ann’s then-fourteen-year-old son, she provided a loving home. Carlina White and Ann Pettway had a very close relationship.
- However, when the case first broke, there were reports that Ann was abusive, according to Carlina. She later changed her statements. Those who followed the case from the very beginning will remember Carlina referring to Ann as “that lady.” The truth mostly like is—Ann Pettway was somewhat abusive in terms of spanking her children like many Southern parents used to do. But she also cared for them and raised them as a mother.
Joy White and Carl Tyson reunited with Carlina in New York. According to the New York Daily News, there was a big family dinner, where they ate lasagna and curry chicken. Joy White and her family couldn’t contain their happiness. For a while, Carlina was communicating with her father, Carl, every day.
- However, according to Joy White, once Carlina found out the money that had been set aside for her was gone, the happy reunion was short-lived. She became estranged from her biological parents. She continues to use the name Nejdra Nance and Carlina Netty. There was a lot of resentment, pain, and family drama going on behind the scene that did not play out in the media.
A family member made the following statement on a news site when the story broke. The comments have since been removed. We saved it.
“Carlina told Joy and Carl, ‘You guys abandoned me why should I come back to new york?’ She does not want to have nothing to do with her parent because there’s no money. Trust fund is gone. Carlina text her mother over and over asking about the money and the 10,000 reward money****** and she stated that Ann Pettway abuse her and mistreated her. Carlina have been so rude to the Tyson and Whites family as if we had kidnapped her …..she won’t even let them know she in town.”
UPDATE 2019: A follower of Carlina’s Instagram page says it appears she has made up with her bio mom, Joy White.