Cathy Cousins (Catherine Stanek-Cousins), 29, and her lover, Timothy Koile, 36, killed Cathy’s Palm Beach Gardens husband, Sean Cousins, nearly twenty years ago and dumped his body in a Florida creek/ditch. Their murder case comes to TV tonight on Investigation Discovery’s ‘Diabolical.’ The episode title for this week’s story is “Lying For Love.”
“Lying For Love” episode on Diabolical
Two neighbors tangle themselves in a lusty web of desire that leads to murder.
Diabolical will re-enact the case of Sean Cousins, an airline pilot who vanished from his home in May of 2001. For almost a week, Sean Cousins’ family members agonized and demanded to know what happened to him. They had a feeling his wife, Catherine Stanek-Cousins, knew more than she admitted.
By all accounts, Cathy Cousins, also known as Catherine Stanek-Cousins, was married for three years to Sean Cousins, an abused husband, who often had bruises on his body. They say the bruises occurred during domestic altercations with his wife. Cathy Cousins was described as a vengeful and envious wife with a violent side.
Cathy Cousins began a hot and steamy love affair with handsome hunk Timothy Koile, a married man who had recently moved into the neighborhood. The affair was the subject of gossip, but things got serious when Cathy’s husband, Sean Cousins, disappeared. Sadly, he was found days later with bullet wounds to the body. Phone records connected Timothy Koile and Cathy Cousins to his death. They were both charged with Sean Cousins’ death in November of 2002.
To avoid the death penalty, Timothy Koile told police his version of what happened that day. According to Tim, he walked in on a murder in progress. He said Sean Cousins was wounded, gasping for air, and begging for his life. Cathy Cousins told him to finish the job, but when Timothy wouldn’t go through with it, Cathy shot her husband in the head. Then, she taunted Timothy Koile, who she once thought was sexy, for being spineless. After the diabolical couple killed Sean Cousins, they dumped him in a ditch.
At their 2003 trial, prosecutors alleged Cathy Cousins killed Sean Cousins to collect on the insurance money and to live with her lover, Timothy Koile.
Here are a few more details
- Cathy Stanek-Cousins cried in court.
- In researching the case, Cathy Cousins named is sometimes spelled Kathy or Katherine Cousins.
- Sean Cousins was a father who had been previously married.
- The Florida widow’s case was a sensation because she was a sultry suburban housewife with green eyes who enticed her handsome lover to kill her husband.
- Timothy Koile and Catherine Cousins received a few short years in prison. Catherine was sentenced to 15 years but got out of prison in 2015. Timothy Koile was given a sentence of 10 years with five years probation. He was released from prison in 2011 but returned to prison for violation of parole. He was released again in October of 2017.
- Timothy ‘Tim’ Koile has a Facebook page.
- Their story aired on an episode of Snapped Killer Couples on Oxygen.
Watch the case of Cathy Cousins and Timothy Koile tonight on Diabolical at 10/9 p.m. central on the Investigation Discovery channel.
[Main Photo via Florida Dept. of Corrections]